Sunday, October 03, 2010

Melbourne and the Cycling World Titles.

As I sit typing, I look out of the window into the back yard and the sky is cloudless and very bright blue. I’ve just returned from watching the start of the UCI World Cycling Road Race. It actually started in Melbourne and proceeded down to Geelong on Corio Bay. For the next 5 hours I expect I will be sitting here in front of the TV to the end of the race.
But let's go back to the beginning of the weekend - Friday night.

La Rafle - the DVD.

Friday night I was determined to watch a DVD that was sent to me by my Parisian friend, Michel. Starring Jean Reno and Melanie Laurent, it is set during German occupation of Paris and centres on the 1942 Vel d‘Hiver roundup when the Jewish population were herded into the Velodrome d’Hiver before being trained off to the concentration camps. Although very depressing, the light in the film was of a young boy escaping and surviving. The movie is called La Rafle.
Not wishing to give away too much more info with a clip can be seen here.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1382725/

Saturday
Deb with hubby, Mark celebrating her win in the Australian Masters Road Championships during last week.
Our Saturday morning ride was special - we had a new champion within our group. Several of our riders competed in the Australian Masters road racing championships and “Our Deb” won her division. It was time to celebrate with Champagne after the morning ride.

With a magnificent sunny afternoon, it was time for our very first spring barbeque. I cranked up the BBQ and guess what - out of gas, a quick trip to change over the gas cylinder and back on the job. My first BBQ is usually not my best but this time the steak was just right, so Sue said.

Asparagus and onion about to be BBQed.

The first BBQ for the  summer season - and listening to Cyndi Lauper.

We sat on the deck, music playing and having a chilled rose from Chile. How good is that?

Sunday
The riders flashed beneath us as we looked down from our bridge.

This morning (Sunday) I was caught out by daylight saving. We usually hit out for a ride at 7.30 am and guess who forgot to reset his clock. We decided we would ride into the City to see the start of the World Title - quite thrilling with all of the color of the different nations. Located on a bridge above the freeway, we saw the riders, support cars and Police directing traffic as helicopters flew overhead..
After a coffee and an asparagus and sweet corn pie, it was off home to catch the live telecast.

Thor God of Thunder from Norway wins the World Title Road Race


And yes, I sat there till the end to watch the Aussies being amongst it all but sucumbing to "God of Thunder", the Norwegian Thor Hushovd - we did however get an Aussie on the podium in Alan Davis. He was third.

As I sat there, I heard Sue calling me to get ready as we had been invited to a Sunday BBQ at our friends home nearby.
I think this summer is going to be a real outdoors BBQ season - bring it on.


4 comments:

  1. As we slide miserably into winter here, you are tormenting us with BBQ's and spring flowers !!

    Today in Derbyshire the weather is horrendous. Grey, wet and windy. Luckly not too cold yet - about 12°C. I notice from the forecast that it is much better in the Loire - quel surprise !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean,
    My "sincere" apologies - Having read all those lovely posts of summer up north, it's time for us southerners to enjoy some summer.
    Enjoy your posts.
    Leon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leon, I knew you would be glued to your television screen ... Pity our Philippe Gilbert made a miscalculation and tried to make a run for it too soon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we are finishing up our bbq season here. Although, if we're lucky, I may squeeze out a grilled lunch or two before it gets too cold. Then we'll enjoy bbq vicariously through your blog!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Love to get feedback so no reason to be shy - have your say.