Monday, April 30, 2012

Two Horses in my Driveway

A little bit of France entered our driveway last night. I made contact with a friend whom I had not seen in 20 years. Chris and I met through the Classic Citroen Owners Club of Australia when we were in our mid 20s. We both owned classic Citroens, mainly 50s Traction Avants.
The Club was running Raid 2012, an event open to Deaux Chevaux or 2CVs. Chris drove his from Adelaide to Melbourne to meet the ferry to Tassie where the Raid was to begin before returning to Melbourne and then travelling north to the bush.

I rang Chris to meet up after 20 years to say hello and invited him to stay the night - a fine bottle of red was waiting and we talked about old memories and how life had changed over the past two decades.

Anyway he parked the 2CV in the driveway overnight and I wonder what my neighbours thought when they saw this delightful little vehicle decorating our driveway behind Sue's Peugeot.
A little taste of France in Mentone.


4 comments:

  1. I would love a 2CV but Nigel, at 6'4", may have to roll himself up to get into it!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine waking up to a Citroen 2CV in your drive-way .... A wonderful vision. On my last trip to France I saw one on the highway which had caught fire ... A tragic sight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane with one D - that would be a sight to see Nigel in the 2CV. Has ever driven a Mini?

    Dianne with two Ds - and this 2CV came all the way from Cumberland Park, Adelaide in one day at 90 kph all the way faultlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You think it’s because they’re lying? Nonsense! I like it when people lie! Lying is man’s only privilege over all other organisms. If you lie--you get to the truth! Lying is what makes me a man. Not one truth has ever been reached without first lying fourteen times or so, maybe a hundred and fourteen, and that’s honorable in its way; well, but we can’t even lie with our own minds! Lie to me, but in your own way, and I’ll kiss you for it. Lying in one’s own way is almost better than telling the truth in someone else’s way; in the first case you’re a man, and in the second—no better than a bird! The truth won’t go away, but life can be nailed shut; there are examples. Well, so where are we all now? With regard to science, development, thought, invention, ideals, aspirations, liberalism, reason, experience, and everything, everything, everything, we’re all, without exception, still sitting in the first grade! We like getting by on other people’s reason--we’ve acquired a taste for it! Right? Am I right? Cheap Flights to Melbourne | Flights to Melbourne | Cheap Air Tickets to Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Love to get feedback so no reason to be shy - have your say.