Sunday, May 04, 2014

What Is Old - Is New Again

Sometimes I might just go for a ride on my bike for no other reason than to discover my local surroundings. A car is good to get to places quickly but a bike opens up new experiences. You can look down lane ways, driveways, and shop windows. This post is about two unique windows in today's large shopping centres.


 There are dwindling special shops these days - we are a disposable society. Something breaks, throw it away and by a replacement. But what if you don't want to throw out a precious possession and it needs to fixing, like a spring loaded clock or a brass or woodwind musical instrument.

Here's two shops I found about 5 kms from home that I knew existed but because I was in the car, I never took the opportunity to discover them more closely. The shopping strip is basically in the doldrums but these two business obviously have a far reaching reputation that has allowed them to prosper.
What is old is new again.







Sorry about all the reflections in my photos - it was a crisp sunny autumn morning for my ride.

4 comments:

  1. Not only do they do they do repairs and restorations on the old objects instead of throwing them into land fill... they have also kept the old shop windows. That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice part of Melbourne Hels - not yet taken over by the Yuppies.

      Delete
  2. Love the clocks, I have a chiming one that needs a repair, pity you are not a bit closer. I agree cycling brings a whole new world into your line of vision that you never see from a car. Hope you are both well. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - A whole new world just sucking up the "where you are". See you soon.

      Delete

Love to get feedback so no reason to be shy - have your say.