Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Just Another Tuesday Night Dinner

The title is mine, not Sue's.
She often says that she doesn't have a creative flair
but when it comes to cooking,
we all agree, 
her creative passion of food
amazes this family.


Our older son, Andrew, lived in England for two years and came back to Australia last Christmas to  live with Mum and Dad while he fininshed off his PhD. He brought with him many things, but one that met with a mixed reception was a can of haggis from Scotland. Of couse I am happy to try to it, I told him. I then proceeded to place it at the back of the pantry out of sight (out of mind)
But....we are going away soon and our son's memory is better than ours. Sigh.
He ate haggis at a very posh restaurant in Leeds and wanted to reproduce the recipe. It was presented with seared scallops with an orange and whiskey sauce. We couldnt find anything like it from Ms Google and an email to  the restaurant went unanswered. (How rude!)
So I made an executive decision. Pan seared scallops, haggis, crispy bacon and a pea puree plus a bit of orange to squeeze over. I thought that maybe we would like all but the haggis.
But, you know....the haggis was great. I know....how odd!


It was an entree sized dish so I made quick spinach and feta pastry things with sweet chilli dipping sauce to have after. Probably not the best match if you were making a total menu to all blend.
But hey, we were just making dinner! All good.
So now we've tasted haggis, and while I didn't hate it, it wasn't anything I would choose to have again.
Sorry Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to get feedback so no reason to be shy - have your say.